SAY THIS. NOT THAT.
Person in active addiction
Person with a substance misuse disorder
Person experiencing an alcohol/drug problem
Why it works: these modifiers give identity to individuals as people, rather than labeling them by their illness.
Substance misuse disorder
Alcohol and drug disorder (or disease)
Why it works: TBy incorporating disorder or disease, these terms reinforce the medical nature of the condition
Person who misuses alcohol/ drugs
Has a mental health condition (or diagnosis)
Why it works: conveys the message that an individual's total identity is not his or her illness label, rather, he or she is a full person that happens to have the experience of mental illness.
Why it works: Indicates the patient is free from the dangerous compulsive behaviors of addiction. Less stigmatizing than “clean” or “sober” yet shows the person is no longer in active addiction.
Help is available.
There are a number of resources in Alabama to assist with information, prevention, treatment and recovery. Reach out to one of these trusted resources to get the support you need.
- Call the 24/7 Helpline at 844-307-1760 or visit Ross Helpline
- Provider Directory Mental Healthcare and Substance Abuse Support
- Crisis Numbers for Mental Healthcare and Substance Abuse Support
- Hot and Warm Lines for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Support
- Mental Health Peer Support
- Understanding the Opioid Crisis